Is it the Olympics? No, it is Sandvik’s new underground truck powered by Volvo Penta.
The new, state-of-the-art 16-liter engine has been specially developed for heavy-duty mining applications, replacing existing 19-liter engines in Sandvik’s TH663 trucks.
Sandvik’s new truck with the 16-liter engine is now operational in hard-rock metal ore mines in Australia. "These are very harsh conditions underground," says Mark Ryan, product line manager for trucks, loading and hauling at Sandvik’s mining division. "The engines on our trucks need to withstand really heavy-duty cycles and continuously haul heavy loads up a steep ramp."
And the new TAD1643VE-B engine delivers:
• Compact size, high performance
• Faster hauls due to high torque delivery
• Low emissions for better ventilation in the mines and a smaller environmental footprint
• Compliant with today’s strictest emission standards*
• Capital and operating costs lower than with previous engines
• Improved fuel efficiency
• Reduced downtime and longer life expectancy
* US Environmental Protection Agency’s Tier 2 Power Band E, equivalent to EU Stage II and China’s NS III.