Faster, Further, Cleaner and Quieter
When Volvo Penta launched the revolutionary IPS (Inboard Performance System) we set a completely new standard in efficiency, comfort and maneuverability. By turning the propellers around to a forward-facing position, the world of boating changed forever. These twin counterrotating propellers form an important part the hydro-dynamically designed propulsion unit – pulling the boat through the water rather than pushing it.
1. Optimal interaction between front and rear propellers ensures maximum performance and fuel efficiency throughout the entire speed range, and smooth and comfortable running.
2. Optimized torque distribution between front and rear propellers ensures that the drive works with the load it is designed for – essential in preserving the life of the drivetrain.
3. Our patented flow deflector at the rear propeller controls water flow and minimizes pressure and wear on the propeller shaft seals.
4. An extremely strong and specially developed nibral (nickel-bronze-aluminum) alloy ensures minimum growth, excellent durability and corrosion resistance.
5. Precise balancing ensures minimal vibrations, quiet and comfortable operation. It is also essential for efficiency and minimizes wear on the drivetrain.
6. Fully CNC machining ensures exact tolerances and the perfect geometry of each propeller, resulting in total precision and outstanding performance
Below you’ll find an overview of the propellers perfectly matched for Volvo Penta IPS. More information on propellers, including part numbers and propeller installation hardware can be found in the Volvo Penta Propeller Guide.
Specifically developed for IPS with D4 and D6 engines to give outstanding efficiency, onboard comfort and maneuverability.
Specifically developed for IPS with D8 engines to give outstanding efficiency, onboard comfort and maneuverability.
Specifically developed for IPS with D11 engines to give outstanding efficiency, onboard comfort and maneuverability.
Specifically developed for IPS with D13 engines to give outstanding efficiency, onboard comfort and maneuverability.
The QE propeller is a variant of the standard high-performance Q propeller, featuring thicker blades and a slightly larger blade area. This adds strength and overall robustness, but will reduce efficiency and top speed. QE propellers could be a good choice for marine commercial vessels when operating in an area of temporary debris and flotsam, such as crushed ice and other floating objects that can damage the propeller.
When considering switching to a QE propeller, please consult your local dealer or local Volvo Penta Sales Application Engineer for size guidance and speed calculations.
Note! QE propellers are approved for D13 IPS900 & IPS1050.
Volvo Penta water-resistant grease is designed to provide excellent adhesion, water resistance and load-carrying properties, and long-term protection against corrosion. It is a multi-purpose premium grease highly recommended for greasing propeller shafts, folding propellers and all other propeller components.
General recommendations and part numbers can be found in the Propeller Guide.
More information on propellers, including part numbers, propeller sizes and installation hardware can be found in the Volvo Penta Propeller Guide.Download propeller guide (PDF, 9.4MB)